POS help centre
Learn how to manage and process sales, take payments and create customers.
To get started sign up for a Saledock account, we'll ask you to create a POS PIN which you'll use to access your POS.
Additional staff accounts for your POS are created from the Saledock back office. Guidance on how to setup POS PINs for all user types can be found in the back office help guide under the Getting started section.
Upon initial login you will be asked to login using your back office account details, this links the back office to your POS. After initial login, register your POS device by selecting the store the POS is trading from then name your register. This name is used to identify end of day reports and sales history locations within the back office. This process is a one-time occurrence unless you uninstall then re-install the POS application.
Login to the POS using the PIN created when you signed up for a Saledock account. As an admin you can disable PINs if you require after you first login, go to the Customisations section of the Settings view. We recommend each member of staff has their own account with PIN access for security and accountability purposes. To login tap the circular profile tile, the first 2 characters of the users first name are displayed within each tile to identify the user.
Once you are setup the first user to login each day will need to open the register. You have the option to specify an opening float and add a note before opening the register. Tap Open register to open the register, if a cash drawer is connected the drawer will also open so you can add the opening float. Each time the register is closed the user will see the open register view ready for the next time the register is opened.
Once all the hardware is setup you will need to connect the printer and barcode scanner to the Saledock POS app. From the Printers and scanners section of the Settings view connect all required devices.
To get started tap the Add online button displayed beneath the "Your product catalogue is empty" message to open the back office in a web browser. Add products and specify quick keys and categories for each. Once complete, return to your POS to view the added products. Inventory is synced in real-time between your POS and back office. Guidance on how to setup products can be found in the back office help guide under the Product inventory section.
If new products are added or existing products edited whilst using the POS application please logout and log back in to view the back office updates.
To add an item to the order either:
- Scan the barcode of an item using a barcode scanner
- Scan the barcode of an item using the built in camera on your tablet or phone, if this option is available the icon will be visible in the top right of the sell view. Tap the icon to scan items using the built in camera. Upon first time use tap Accept on the permissions dialog allowing Saledock to take pictures and record video. Once accepted the camera will be active with a horizontal red line overlayed. To scan a barcode ensure the red line is over the barcode. If you don't see the camera view and instead see a white background restart the app and try again. This may happen on first time use only.
- Tap the product tile of an item
- Tap the icon to expand the search input. Type a minimum of the first three characters of the product name and press enter on your on screen keyboard to display results. Alternatively type the last 6 digits of a barcode to search for the product. If there are no matching results, a clear search button will be shown, tap this to clear the search input to try again. If you no longer wish to search for an item tap the original search icon to collapse the search input, the original view of categorised products will be displayed.
If a product has size and/or colour variants a popup will require you to select the size and/or colour before adding the item the order. Once an item is added, the product will be shown on the order view, you have the option to amend the quantity by tapping the quantity value within the tile or removing the item by tapping the icon.
Payment information is shown beneath the order:
- Sub-total - Total order value including VAT
- VAT - Total VAT (VAT % per product is specified in the Saledock back office)
- Discount - Total discount if any
- Total to pay - The Sub-total value minus any discounts
To enable the stock alerts feature, go to the Customisations section of the Settings. When an item is added to the order the following stock alerts are displayed:
- Out of stock - Item added to the order has a stock quantity of zero in the back office. This feature may be helpful if your in-store and online stock share the same warehouse. The last item may have been purchased online but yet to be picked and dispatched, this will alert the in-store cashier that the item has already been sold
- Last of stock - Last item in stock
- Only "x" in stock - If multiple of the same item is added to the order but only a limited quanitity in stock an alert is displayed. For example, if the cashier adds 6 of the same item but only 4 are in stock the alert will be displayed when 5 and above are added to the order
- Low stock - If a re-order point has been set for the item in the back office the alert is displayed if the stock quantity will be the same as the re-order point after the sale of that item. The alert will continue to be displayed until the Last of stock or Out of stock alerts take priority. This helps give better visibility of stock levels and encourages staff to check the low stock report in the back office
To add a gift card to the order either:
- Scan the barcode of a gift card using a barcode scanner
- Scan the barcode of a gift card using the built in camera on your tablet or phone, if this option is available the icon will be visible in the top right of the sell view. Tap the icon to scan items using the built in camera. Upon first time use tap Accept on the permissions dialog allowing Saledock to take pictures and record video. Once accepted the camera will be active with a horizontal red line overlayed. To scan a barcode ensure the red line is over the barcode. If you don't see the camera view and instead see a white background restart the app and try again. This may happen on first time use only.
- If you do not own a scanner tap the gift card tile within the gift card category or on the quick view category (if the option has been selected in the back office). Manually enter the code on the gift card to add the gift card to the order.
- Tap the icon to expand the search input. Type a minimum of the first three characters of the gift card name and press enter on your on screen keyboard to display results.
To check the status and balance of a gift card scan the barcode from the sell view. A dialog will display the status, expiration date and balance. If the gift card has not been activated, the gift card will be added to the order. If you do not own a scanner, add an item to the order, select pay by gift card and input the code to check the balance. Tap Cancel and Void the order if you only wish to check the balance.
To add an existing customer to an order tap the Search customer field. Type the first three characters of the customer’s name or email address to display a list of matching results. Tap a result to add the customer to the order. Once a customer is added to an order the icon is disabled. To remove the customer tap the icon to the right of customer name.
To add a new customer directly to the order tap the icon, the add customer view will be displayed, add the customer details. The first name and surname are mandatory, the email address is also mandatory if set in the customisations section of the setting page. Tap the icon in the top right to add the customer to the order.
Tap the icon to void the order. A dialog is displayed asking you to confirm, tap Yes, void to void the order. This will delete the order completely and will not be available from your sales history. Depending on the role assigned to the user not all users will be able to void an order.
Tap the icon to add a discount to the order. Add either a fixed amount or percentage discount to the order by tapping the or icon to set the discount type. Tap the icon again and set the discount to zero to remove the discount. Depending on the role assigned to the user not all users will be able to add a discount to an order.
The discount is proportionately applied to all items within the order. The price of each item in the order will be updated to reflect the discount.
Tap the icon within an item tile to add a discount to the item. Add either a fixed amount or percentage discount to the item by tapping the or icon to set the discount type. Tap the icon again and set the discount to zero to remove the discount. If a discount has been added to an item the whole order discount feature will be disabled. Depending on the role assigned to the user not all users will be able to add a discount to an order.
This feature is disabled by default, go to the Customisations section of the Settings view to enable.
Tap the icon to add a note to the order. When creating a receipt template in the back office you can choose to display notes on receipts. Multiple notes can be added to an order. Notes are shown beneath the order. To delete a note tap the icon displayed to the right of each note.
Once an order is processed, access the order from your sales history to view the order details and any added notes.
Tap the icon to add a quick sale to the order. A quick sale is used to add an item or service for products not in your inventory. Add the quick sale amount and an optional description, tap Add amount to confirm and the quick sale will be added to the order.
To save an order for later tap the Save for later button. A dialog is displayed asking you to confirm, tap Yes, save to save the order. This clears the order view and adds the order to your sales history with a Saved status. This feature is useful if a customer has forgotten an item, you can save the order and continue serving other customers. Once the customer is ready to pay for their items, access the sales history and tap the saved order, click the Continue order button to add more items if required or pay.
From the order view tap the Pay button to display the total to pay view. The total value to pay and payment options are displayed.
Suggested cash amounts are displayed for quicker processing. Tap a suggested amount if it matches the amount the customer has given you or tap Other, the on screen keyboard will be displayed. Manually enter the amount the customer has given you and tap or done (depending on the device). If the correct amount is provided tap Other then or done. The change due screen will be shown. Give the customer the change displayed and tap next to proceed to the receipt view.
Tap the Card button. For none integrated payments the card payment screen will instruct the user to input the total card payment due onto the card reader and process the payment. Once the payment has been processed tap Next to proceed to the receipt view. Tap Cancel to return to the total to pay view.
Please refer to the integrated payments help guide for taking card payments with SumUp, Paymentsense and Dojo.
Tap the Gift card button. Scan the gift card barcode or input the gift code displayed on the gift card and tap Check code or tap Cancel to return to the total to pay view. The screen will update to display one of the following:
- Gift card expired - The gift card expired on DD/MM/YYYY
- Redeemed - The gift card has already been redeemed
- Not activated - The gift card has not been activated
- Pay partial - The current gift card balance and the new balance once the payment has been transacted will be displayed. If the order total is greater than the gift card balance the full gift card balance will be deducted from the order total then you will be returned to the total remaining to pay view where the customer can pay the remaining total either by card or cash
- Pay full - The current gift card balance and the new balance once the payment has been transacted will be displayed. If the order total is less than or equal to the gift card balance the order total will be deduced from the gift card balance. The remaining gift card balance if any can be used on future purchases
To layby an order for later tap the Layby button. A dialog is displayed asking you to confirm, tap Yes, layby to layby the order. This clears the order view and adds the order to your sales history with a Layby status. To view the order, access the sales history and tap the order to view the order details, tap the Continue order button to add more items or pay.
To make a partial payment or deposit, amend the total value on the total to pay view. If paying by cash tap Other to specify the amount. If paying by card tap the total to pay amount and input the amount being paid before tapping the Card button. Once the partial payment is made you have the option to print/email a receipt which includes the amount paid and remaining total to pay. You will be navigated back to the total to pay view with the remaining total to pay so you can split the total across several payment types or people. You can layby the order if the customer is only paying a deposit. After each payment you will be returned to the total remaining to view until the total remaining to pay is zero or you layby the order.
You can print a receipt for each single transaction or tap Not required to proceed to the next payment. On the final payment choose to print the receipt which will show a record of all transactions.
The receipt displays:
- Store information
- Optional store logo
- Served by, order number and date/time printed
- Breakdown of item(s) sold or refunded by description, VAT category, total quantity and total value for each item
- Sub-total - Total order value including VAT
- Discount - Total discount if any, this field is only visible if a discount has been applied
- Balance due - The Sub-total value minus any discounts
- Payment transactions - A breakdown of all payment and refund transactions displaying the payment method and if relevant the card information (e.g. Gift card payment, Cash payment, VISA ****1234 or MASTERCARD refund ****1234)
- Total payments - Payment transaction totals minus refund transaction totals, this field is only visible if multiple payment transactions have been made
- Change - Total change due
- Total to pay - Total balance outstanding if only a partial payment has been made, this field is only visible if there is an outstanding balance
- VAT breakdown per VAT category
- Number of items sold (refunds are not included)
- Optional order notes
- Optional order barcode
If a receipt printer is connected to the POS the print receipt button will be active. Tap the button to print the receipt. Receipts can be re-issued by viewing the order from your Sales history.
If using Dojo as your integrated payment provider you'll see the following buttons when a transaction is approved:
- Customer receipt
- Merchant receipt
- Done - Continues without printing a receipt
Tap any of the options and the screen on the Saledock POS app will update to show the receipt view where you can print a receipt for the order which includes the items sold and card transaction information.
If a customer has been added to the order their email address will be automatically populated on the receipt view. If an email address is present the email receipt button will be active. Tap the button to email the receipt. If you have not added the customer to the order you can still add the email address, this is useful if the customer wishes to receive the receipt via email but does not want to be added as a customer. Email addresses added on the receipt view will not be saved to the customer list. Receipts can be re-issued by viewing the order from your Sales history.
If a receipt printer is connected to the POS the print gift receipt button will be active. Tap the button to print the gift receipt. Gift receipts can be re-issued by viewing the order from your Sales history. Gift receipts are the same as a standard receipt but do not display prices or VAT.
The receipt template can be customised via the back office. Please refer to the Receipt template setup guidance.
Receipt printers are available in 2 widths; 60mm and 80mm. From the Customisations section of the Settings view specify the receipt width of your printer to ensure the correct width format is displayed on receipts.
By default the sales history shows today's orders and grouped by date. Search for an order by order number or staff name (sold by). If there are no matching results, a clear search button will be shown, tap this to clear the search. To view a recently added order swipe down in the sales history list to refresh the view.
Each register is assigned to a specific store so only orders from the assigned store will be shown by default. If a customer is returning an order to a different store than it was originally purchased from scan the barcode receipt straight from the main Sell view which will open the order. For online orders or if you've chosen not to display barcodes on the in-store printed receipts go to the sales history and manually type the order number into the search input. Searching for an order will search the back office database which stores the sales history of all stores within the last 180 days.
The sales history is filterable by date and status. Tap the icon to specify a status you wish to filter by, by default each status is shown. Tap Apply filter to filter the sales history list. To filter by date tap the icon, by default the date range is filtered to the last 7 days. You can change the date range filter to Today, Yesterday or manually input a date range no greater than 30 days. Tap Apply filter to filter the sales history list. To find a specific order added 30 days or more search by the order number.
Tap a sales history item to view the order information. From this view you can re-issue a receipt and refund or exchange part or all of the order. If the order has been saved for later or is on layby a Continue order button is visible, tapping this will take you to the order view where you can continue adding items to your order or proceed to payment.
The full order details are displayed including order information, notes, items purchased and payment history. The payment history shows a full audit of payments:
- Sub-total - Original total order value including VAT
- Item(s) returned - Total value of items returned if any, this field is only visible if items have been returned
- Discount - Total discount if any
- Total - The Sub-total value minus discounts and the value of any item(s) returned
- Payment transactions - A breakdown of all payments and refunds displaying the payment method and transaction date (e.g. VISA Payment on DD/MM/YYYY, Cash Refund on DD/MM/YYYY or Gift Card Payment on DD/MM/YYYY)
- Total payments Payment transaction totals minus refund transaction totals, this field is only visible if multiple payment transactions have been made
- VAT - Total VAT calculated on the Total value
- Total to pay - Total balance outstanding
Depending on the role assigned to the user not all users will be able to refund/exchange an order.
To return/exchange an item select the relevant order from the sales history or scan the receipt barcode straight from the main Sell view. Tap the return or exchange button to process a return or exchange. A list of all items in the order are displayed, to return an item tap the icon displayed within each item tile. The tile will update to indicate that the item is being returned, tap the icon to undo your action. The payments section will update to show the total to refund:
- Sub-total - Total order value including VAT of items not being returned
- VAT - Total VAT of items not being returned
- Original Discount - Total discount of items not being returned if any
- Discount - Total discount of new items being exchanged if any
- Payments received - Total payment received on the original order
- Total to refund - Total value of the item(s) being returned including VAT and any discounts
Tap the Refund or exchange button to proceed to the total to refund view then select the method in which the refund is being given.
If a customer wishes to exchange an item, mark the item that is being returned and add a new item to the order in the same way as a regular order. If a discount was applied to the original order and you wish to discount the exchanged item tap the icon and add a discount to the new item(s). Tap the Refund or exchange button to proceed to the total to pay view then select the payment method.
Please refer to the integrated payments help guide for processing refunds/exchanges with SumUp, Paymentsense and Dojo.
To process a refund in-store for a purchase made on your online store select the items to be refunded, tap the Refund or exchange button and select Card as the payment type. The card refund view will display the total to refund and the last four digits of the card being refunded. Tap the Next button to confirm the refund or Cancel to cancel the refund. You can only refund the amount to the original card used to purchase the items online. Your stripe account will be updated with any refunds made via your POS. If the card used to purchase the orginal items cannot be found you will be asked to manually process the refund using your Stripe account.
To process an exchange where money is owed, the payment transaction process is the same as a regular in-store purchase.
Click and collect
All click and collect orders are displayed in a list. Search for an order by order number and customer name. If there are no matching results, a clear search button will be shown, tap this to clear the search. A click and collect order can be processed via the POS or the back office.
Each click and collect order is assigned to a specific store so only orders from the assigned store will be displayed.
Tap an order to view and process the order. The full order details are displayed as described in the View an order section above. Once the order has been picked tap Print click and collect receipt to print the receipt, the receipt will also display the customer name and highlight that it is a click and collect order. Place the receipt with order then tap Ready the collect. The customer will then receive a Ready for collection email. The Ready to collect button will now be replaced with a Collect now button. Tap Collect now once the order has been collected to change the status. The order will be removed from the Click and collect list and added to the Sales history list with a Collected status. You can view the order, re-issue a receipt or process a refund/exchange as you would a regular in-store order.
Click and collect orders processed via the POS will be automatically updated in the back office.
By default the customer list shows customers added via the POS grouped by the first character of the customer surname. Search for a customer by name, email address and phone number. If there are no matching results, a clear search button will be shown, tap this to clear the search.
Each register is assigned to a specific store so only customers from the assigned store will be shown by default. Searching for a customer will search the back office database which stores customer details from all stores plus any customers added directly from the back office.
Tap the icon in the top right of the customer list view to add a new customer. Fill in the customer details and optional notes then tap the icon to save the customer. The first name and surname are mandatory, the email address is also mandatory if set in the customisations section of the setting page. Once the customer is saved you will return to the list view, to view the new customer in the list swipe down to refresh the view.
Tap a customer from the list to view the customer information and their full sales history. Tap the icon to save any amendments or delete the customer by tapping the icon. Deleting the customer will delete the customer from your device and from the back office and will no longer be available. Depending on the role assigned to the user not all users will be able to delete a customer.
It is advised that the register is closed at the end of each day. The close register view displays the register summary, cash summary and payment transactions. Before closing the register tap the icon in the top right and tap Open cash drawer. The expected cash value is automatically calculated. Enter the mandatory counted cash value and an optional note, any discrepancies between the expected and counted cash will be shown.
Tap in the top right to print the end of day report before closing the register. If there is not a printer connected a message will be displayed. To check printer connectivity or to connect a printer go to the Printers and scanners section of the Settings view. Tap Close to close the register, please ensure you print the end of day report before closing. The register cannot be closed if there are open orders. Either save, void or process the order(s) to close the register.
The end of day report displays:
- Printed by, date and time printed
- Breakdown of transactions by category, including total quantity sold and total value for each category
- Breakdown of refunds by category, including total quantity returned and total value for each category
- Gross - Total value of all sales excluding discounts and refunds
- Discounts - Total value of discounts given
- Refunds - Total value of refunds given
- Net sales - The Gross value minus discounts and refunds
- Liabilities - Total outstanding balance of gift card sales
- Laybys - Total value of layby sales (outstanding balances)
- Total takings -The Net sales value minus layby sales
- VAT breakdown per VAT category
- Breakdown of payments by payment type (cash, card and gift card) and sale type (payment and refund) with a total amount (total payments minus total refunds)
- Number of items sold (refunds are not included)
- Number of transactions
If using Dojo or Paymentsense the card machine will automatically print an end of day transaction log when you close the register on the POS app. A digital version of this will also be available from each end of day report shown in the back office.
If you are an admin or your user role allows you will have the option to set the following customisations:
- PIN enabled? - Enable staff PINs to login
- Logout after payment enabled? - Automatically logout staff after each transaction
- Receipt view enabled?
- Printer paper width 60mm/80mm - Specify the receipt paper width; either 60mm or 80mm
- Item discounts enabled?
- Customer email required? - Enable the customer email address as a mandatory field upon customer creation
- Display stock level alerts? - Enable to display stock alerts when an item is added to the order
A list of connected barcode scanners and printers are displayed. SumUp devices and cash drawers will not be shown as connected devices. If there are no connected devices tap the Search for devices button. A list of all available devices are displayed, swipe down to refresh the view. Each device tile displays a device type icon (printer, scanner or unknown), device name and connection type icon (Bluetooth, USB or ethernet). Tap a tile to make it the active printer or scanner. Once it is active the device will appear under the relevant Active printer or Active scanner header. Tap the icon within the active tile to de-activate the device, the device will then appear under the available devices list.
The mPOP scanner will only be visible in the list of available devices once the mPOP printer and cash drawer or the mC-Print2 is added as the active printer as the mPOP scanner is connected via the printer.
The Star, Honeywell and SocketScan devices display identifiable names, the Sunmi device names are NS021 (Sunmi scanner) and NT021 (Sunmi printer).
By default, the payment provider is set to None. If your using SumUp, Paymentsense or Dojo as your integrated payment provider tap the option input and select your payment provider. Please refer to the integrated payments help guide for details on setting up your card reader and connecting the card reader to the Saledock POS app.
If you have a main register with a connected printer you can print to that printer from any other tablet or mobile that has a Saledock account. Tap the option input and a list of all your account's devices will be displayed, select your main register (one you know has a connected printer) to enable you to print to that printer. Once an order is processed and the receipt page in view, tap the Print button to print to the chosen register. A Sending to printer message will be displayed. If the print is unsuccessful you have the option to cancel or try again. If unsuccessful again, ensure both the main register and printer are turned on and the main register and printer are connected via Bluetooth or USB. If the receipt fails to print restart both the main register and tablet/mobile device.
This feature allows staff to switch users part way through an order. This is useful if there is a shift change part way through an order or if a staff member requires a manager to complete an order depending on user roles set in the back office. You will not be able to switch to another user if the user you are switching to already has an open order. Instead tap Save for later, logout then login with the required user and access that saved order from the Sales history.
Back office setup
Learn how to setup your ecommerce site, users, stores, customers, manage inventory and track sales.back office setup
Setup hardware and check your computer specifications are compatible with Saledock.Hardware setup